Wednesday 4 September 2013

Breakfast in a Biscuit

I made biscuits and they were good.

Once upon a time I had a gym membership and I used it. My favourite part was the Les Mills 'Body Combat' classes and I showed up for one every Wednesday morning (my day off at the time). After the class, I would walk a few blocks to the nearest bus-stop and head into town. Usually I'd head to my favourite café and order a black coffee and a 'breakfast muffin'. The café is no longer there and they stopped serving the muffins long before that, but these biscuits taste just like them!

Thanks to Vegan MoFo (that's Vegan Month of Food, for the uninitiated) I've been browsing vegan blogs again. Yesterday I came across this recipe from 'Vegans Eat Yummy Food, Too' and realised that I had all the ingredients to make them. I changed up the recipe a little and ultimately my version is no longer vegan. Oh well, they tasted good and are still healthier than your standard sweet biscuit.

Here's how to make them:
Ingredients
  • 1 cup oat bran
  • 1 cup grated carrot
  • 1 cup Crunchy Nut Cornflakes®
  • 1/4 cup sultanas
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seeds (linseeds)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 Tbsp margarine
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 180C.
  • In a large mixing bowl, combine the oat bran, grated carrot, sultanas, flax seeds and cinnamon. Stir until well combined.
  • Fold through the applesauce, honey and margarine.
  • Stir well until mixture clumps together. (Use your hands if you need to!)
  • Shape into rounds and place on a lined baking tray. Flatten each biscuit with your fingers or a fork.
  • Bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden brown.
  • Transfer to wire rack to cool.

When my father came to visit recently, he left us a box of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes® that none of us enjoy as a cereal. This recipe, though, is perfect for them. Any time of day we can taste the flavours of breakfast, in a biscuit.

-Polly

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm these would be so yummy! I used to make corn flake cookies all the time! I'll have to give them a try with the corn flakes in them now hehehe
    Thanks for trying it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious!
    And I totally thought you were swearing when you referred to Vegan MoFo lol :P

    ReplyDelete